Planning & Development

The planning process has altered considerably in recent years and we advise land owners or potential purchasers on how this relates to specific properties.  We advise on the best methods of using the planning process whether for strategic or development control purposes and for immediate or longer term advantage.

We specialise in Town and Country Planning matters in rural areas and on urban fringe.  For example we regularly advise on the following:

  • Local Development Framework and Strategic Land Development – We continue to advise clients, particularly where land is on the urban fringe, of their opportunities for development given the current government guidance and proposals within the various Local Development Frameworks.
  • Barn Conversions – We work closely with our architects and regularly advise clients upon the best alternative use for redundant rural buildings.
  • Conversion to Residential Use – We are pleased to have been involved in some extremely successful and well thought out schemes.
  • Agriculturally Tied Dwellings – We continue to act on behalf of clients who have established new rural enterprises and who require an agricultural dwelling to serve the needs of their business.  We have successfully obtained consent for a number of prominent dwellings which are now successfully serving the needs of the rural economy and new rural enterprises.
    Alternatively it is sometimes necessary to seek the removal of an agricultural tie from an older dwelling which no longer serves an agricultural need.  In the past, it was possible to obtain planning consent for an agriculturally tied dwelling for a farmer or farm worker to retire to.  Often, when these properties come to the market and they have no land with them to support a rural business, it is necessary to seek the removal of the tie to allow the property to be effectively sold on the open market.
  • Farm Buildings – We can provide planning applications for agricultural buildings.  These are made with the agricultural support, design and access, and environmental statements required.


The right to claim compensation usually arises when new public infrastructure works are built.
Read more…

Hinson Parry Members of:

  • RICS — The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
  • NFU — National Farmers' Union